I’ve never been much of pancake lover. They are always just so greasy, sweet, fatty, cakey…? They just don’t fit with my taste buds. However, as soon as I discovered the nonstick pan, my view on these flat round “cakes” started changing. No longer did they have to be made in oil to prevent them from sticking! The sound of pumpkin pancakes has always resonated with me, I mean what’s not to love about pumpkin anything?! Anyway after searching long and hard for the perfect pumpkin pancake recipe, I gave up and created my own that has come to be from the numerous nights where I realize I am out of cereal, granola, and oatmeal, and must whip up a batch of one of my favorite re-occurring recipes in order to obtain my whole grain for the following morning’s breakfast.
You see, I love love love to cook, but I love to try different recipes from different cuisines, and being that there are just so many mouth watering combinations of ingredients waiting to be concocted, I rarely repeat myself due to the curiosity I obtain for the outcome of the next taste I have yet to devour. This being said, there are still a few recipes of which I hold near and dear to my heart, of which I find myself concocting over and over again, and these pumpkin pancakes happen to be one of them! They are just oh so gooey and thick due to the pumpkin, hardly sweet due to the use of simply applesauce to lighten the flavor, and they are oh so unforgettable that you too will find yourself mixing these up time, after time, after time. My outline recipe makes only four large pancakes however it is easily doubled. I just like to have the option to pick and choose how many I will make due to the ingredients I obtain at the moment in my pantry. So onto the recipe, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Yield: 4 Pancakes (easily doubled)
Light, fluffy, healthy pumpkin pancakes that taste like pumpkin pie.
heaping 1/2 cup pumpkin, canned, not pie filling
1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 tbsp. ground flax seeds+3 tbsp. warm water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. apple sauce
1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour (or other whole grain flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. pumpkin spice, ground
1 dash salt
- Mix the ground flax and water in a separate bowl, let sit for a few minutes until gooey consistency.
- Mix almond milk, pumpkin, applesauce, & vanilla extract into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice.
- Add flax mixture to pumpkin mixture.
- Combine and whisk everything till evenly mixed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet and place over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 of the batter onto skillet and cook till you can cleanly slide your spatula under the pancake and then flip, about 2 minutes on each side. You can make two at a time, repeat with the other half of the batter yielding a total of 4 pancakes.